The Tool Maker
Students will examine tool use by chimpanzees
through a simulated exercise.
They will experience how a chimpanzee goes about getting one of
its favorite delicacies the termite.
1. one 6 oz. paper cup and lid (with hole) for
2. one straw for each student
3. electric hot plate
4.. one cooking pan and spoon
5. one bag of rice
1. Prepare rice (overly cooked) before the
2. Put a portion of rice in each cup.
3. put the lid on the cup.
4. Students will try to get the rice out of the up by
sticking the straw in the hole and attempting
remove the rice.
contributed by Eric Matthews
the Jane Goodall Institute
BWB Secretarial Limited
10 Queen Street Place
London, EC4R 1BE
Copyright © ChimpanZoo: Research, Education
and Enrichment 2003